“Protect the environment, protect lives” is an important phrase that everyone remembers today. Many people choose the Green Route with the primary goal of preserving nature and protecting the environment from the harmful effects of various human activities. With so much pollution and ecological imbalance, the current situation is ominous, for both, environment and health. The issue is also worrying top environmentalists who are constantly and rigorously searching for ways and means to save the environment that is beginning to take away human life. Therefore, it has become very important to take critical steps to save lives and improve good physical conditions.
Factors Affecting the Environment
Many factors contribute to the threat impact on the environment. Of these, the most worrisome are global warming, ozone depletion, air pollution, and water pollution.
1. Global Warming
Global warming is a life-threatening problem facing the world today. The global temperature is rising due to the action of greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide, methane, and nitrous oxide. When these gases are released into the atmosphere, they trap heat and light from the sun, increasing the temperature of the Earth.
The most measurable step is to switch to fuel efficient vehicles with relatively low carbon emissions. Carbon dioxide is a major contributor to global warming and must be significantly reduced
2. Ozone depletion
Depletion of ozone layer is another source of polluting our environment. Ozone is an important component in the atmosphere that protects human from the harmful ultra-violet rays. Sadly, human activities have caused ozone depletion which can be disastrous if not controlled now. It is due to increase in the level of chlorofluorocarbons (CFC).
- There are various ways to fight the issue like avoiding the use of aerosols, insulating home, and avoiding purchase of polystyrene products.
- It is also very important to keep a regular check of air-conditioner fitted in cars because any leakage in the coolant will release high amount of CFC.
3. Air pollution
Air pollution caused due to various human actions like smoking, forest destruction, excessive use of air-conditioners, and increasing reliability of private vehicles has considerably caused a serious threat to the environment and health.
- To fight the problem the best ways are to use carpool or public transportation as much as possible, and avoid both active and passive smoking.
- It destroys the fitness of humans which can be improved by doing exercise.
- We should minimize the use of air-conditioner, stop the use of wood stoves, avoid purchase of formaldehyde products, remove asbestos if found anywhere at home, and make maximum use of energy-efficient appliances.
4. Water pollution
Water pollution is also increasing due to uncontrolled human activities. It directly affects the aquatic life and cause formation of algae on surface of the water. It also affects the health of humans.
- Do not dump or dispose any kind of chemical or toxic substance down the drain or in any kind of water body.
- There is also an urgency to do a periodic test or verification of the drinking water as it may contain bacteria, metals, and various other toxic chemicals.